Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Grandmother by Shannon Vanderstelt

My Grandmother


As I look into my Grandmother's eyes

I seem to feel a bit surprised

She sits there in her silly old chair

Clicking her heels, it's too much to bear



See she can't walk, sing, or speak

She is thin and looks very weak

It saddens me to see her so

That life has brought her to a terrible low



She can remember a little from the past

But the present goes by way too fast

She knows her daughter and sons you'll see

It's hard for her to remember me



I wish I knew how she was feeling

Maybe there are secrets she is concealing

I wonder what goes through her mind

As she sits there in a bind



Speak to me Gram; wake out of your trance

Please get up, move, or dance

I want to see again the sparkle in your eyes

Because I know that's where the truth lies



You used to sing the Gospel with this glorious tune

Tomorrow to hear you sing was never too soon

You saved so many lost souls everyday

Taught them about God and all he has to say



You were so strong, mighty, and bold

Your life was too short to already been sold

I miss hearing you sing and pray

The hours are cutting short, it could be any day



I want you back sound body and mind

I wish there were a key I could find

To bring you back out of this state

Oh why did this have to be your fate



This must have been God's very plan

To watch you grow and see your wings span

You've served him right from the start

He welcomes you to his home and heart



My love for you will never die

I will hold your Sparkle in my eye

I know I'll be singing with you someday soon

Walking through the gates of heaven,

singing the same glorious tune







No comments:

Post a Comment